15th century In Frankfurt's city forest pigs are fattened. At night they are put away in so called pens, that are called "stige" or "stic" in Middle German. This term later on is developed into the word "Stiege".
1781 The building of a stable pig barn is decided and put into place within the same year.
1885 The opening of the trail from Sachsenhausen to Schwanheim becomes a major milestone for the Unterschweinstiege and let it turn into a popular tourist attraction.
1925-1927 The enterprise at the Unterschweinstiege is leased. As it becomes clear that due to deficiencies the rent cannot be generated, the barn is converted in to a taproom.
1969 The Steigenberger Airport Hotel in Frankfurt is opened as well as the "Waldrestaurant Unterschweinstiege".